I’m not exactly sure when the idea entered my head. Maybe it was after a particularly exhausting day of teaching. Maybe it was right before I wrote this post. Maybe the idea has been there all along, sitting idle until I found the courage to make it actionable. The one thing I do know is that ever since the idea of starting my own business planted itself in my brain and took root, I haven’t been able to think about anything else.
Starting a business is not for sissies. Which is why I haven’t attempted such a feat until now. You see…I’m kinda a sissy. I’m pretty scared of risk and judgement and being homeless. Yup. A bit of a wuss, I am. But like I said, I don’t know what happened. Maybe 40 happened. Maybe I am having some sort of midlife crisis. Or maybe I am slowly starting to lose my mind. All of these are distinct possibilities. What I can tell you is that something inside me has changed. As much as the idea of starting a business scared the living bejesus out of me, the idea of not starting a business started to scare me even more.
So here I am…smack dab in the middle of setting up a sweet little side-business. No, I have not quit my day job. And no…I don’t plan to quit any time soon. You see…while my business has already brought me so much joy, it has yet to bring me any actual profits. So at this stage, my business is more like an expensive hobby. But never mind that little detail. The point is I am doing it.
I am doing it.
So for inquiring minds who are just desperate to know more, I have put together a little ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ list for you. Ready? Here we go…
- What is your business all about? Basically, it is a home décor shop, but with a bit of a twist.
- Do you feel like vomiting when you think about opening your own business? The short answer is yes. The long answer is that at almost any second of the day I can feel my hands break out into a cold sweat imagining the day where I have to publish this blog post and announce that I’m starting a business. It keeps me at night, both with excitement and sheer panic. I am terrified. But I am trying to tell myself that feeling terrified is a normal feeling. Doing risky things is terrifying, it wouldn’t be risky if it was safe. So, yes…I feel like vomiting. 😉
- What do you know about business? Almost nothing.
- Are you qualified to open a business? Probably not. See above.
- Why are on earth are you doing this? Here is the thing…I need this in a way that I’m not sure I can properly express in words. I need to challenge myself. I need a creative outlet. I need to take more ownership over my happiness. I need to show myself (and my kids) that doing a seemingly impossible thing is, in fact, possible. I need to test the theory that limits are really only present in one’s own mind. I need to just try.
- I want nothing more than for your business to thrive and for you to not be homeless. How can I support you? Wow. Aren’t you sweet and thoughtful! Thanks for that! The best thing you can do is to send me words of encouragement. Tell me that opening a business isn’t crazy. Remind me that dreaming isn’t foolish, rather it is a minimum requirement for self-fulfillment and happiness. Another thing you can do is to follow me on social media. Knowing that I have a virtual support base is both comforting and also helps to legitimize my online presence as a business. Lastly, support small businesses. I love Target just as much as the next person (probably more), but I when you support small businesses, you are literally helping a person realize their dreams. How cool is that?
So that is what I have been up to; sweating, hustling, preparing and almost vomiting.
If you want to support me in this new journey or even just watch my many steps (and missteps) along the way you can find me @soukysoukyhome on Facebook and Instagram or head over to www.soukysouky.com. We officially open shop on November 25…so stay tuned!